The Public Health Microbiology team in PHS coordinates a whole-genome sequencing (WGS) service for COVID-19 viral genotyping in Scotland. The service provides WGS capacity within the NHS.
The service is provided by the:
- Specialist Virology Centre at the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh
- West of Scotland Specialist Virology Centre at the Glasgow Royal Infirmary
The service delivers rapid sequencing of SARS-CoV-2 samples and bioinformatic analysis of genome data. This supports the identification of variants and mutants of concern and the detection and investigation of COVID-19 outbreaks and incidents.
We have produced a video explaining what whole-genome sequencing is.
The service is supported by:
- Antimicrobial Resistance and Healthcare Associated Infection (ARHAI) Scotland
- NHS Lothian
- NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
It is funded by:
- NHS National Services Scotland (NSS)
- Scottish Government
The service was developed in partnership with the COVID-19 Genomics UK (COG-UK) consortium, and its academic partners at the University of Edinburgh and the Medical Research Council (MRC) University of Glasgow Centre for Virus Research (CVR).
Email email@example.com for more information and to submit requests forms.