This guidance is to support those working in sampling and laboratory investigations. This guidance covers:
- sample collection for PCR testing
- clinical indications for serology testing
- protocol for reporting SARS-CoV-2 PCR positives during periods of low prevalence
- results of testing
- guidance for microbiologists and virologists
The following resources are available on our workforce educational resources page.
Sampling and Testing for COVID-19
We have produced a short video clip to support colleagues required to obtain an upper respiratory tract diagnostic sample.
This resource describes the techniques involved in obtaining an upper respiratory tract COVID-19 diagnostic sample and covers the:
- options available in relation to COVID-19 upper respiratory tract samples
- technique involved in obtaining a nose swab
- technique involved in obtaining a throat swab
Packaging of diagnostic samples for onward transportation
View a guidance video showing the correct way to package samples from suspected COVID-19 patients for Category B transport, in line with UN3373 requirements.
If you have a media enquiry relating to this publication, please contact the Communications and Engagement team.