About this release
This release by Public Health Scotland (PHS) provides an update of how long people waited to start treatment with Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) in NHS Scotland for the quarter ending June 2023.
As of June 2022, CAMHS data are available via an interactive dashboard.
For the quarter ending June 2023:
- 73.8% of children and young people were seen within 18 weeks of referral, which is a decrease from 74.2% for the previous quarter but an increase from the 68.3% for the same quarter ending June 2022. The Scottish Government standard states that 90% of children and young people should start treatment within 18 weeks of referral to CAMHS.
- 5,093 children and young people started treatment at CAMHS in Scotland. This is an increase of 3.5% from the 4,920 starting treatment in the previous quarter, and a decrease of 2.2% from the 5,206 starting treatment in the quarter ending June 2022.
- One in two of the children and young people seen started their treatment within an average of 11 weeks, which is an increase from an average of 9 weeks in the previous quarter and an average of 10 weeks for quarter ending June 2022.
- 6,667 children and young people were waiting to start treatment at quarter ending June 2023 which is a decrease of 13.4% (1,034) compared to the previous quarter and a decrease of 31.5% (3,060) for the same quarter ending June 2022.
- 9,525 children and young people were referred to CAMHS in Scotland for quarter ending June 2023. This is a decrease of 9.8% (1,031) compared to the previous quarter, and an increase of 3.4% (312) for the same quarter ending June 2022.
The next release of this publication will be 5 December 2023.
If you have an enquiry relating to this publication, please contact Brendan de Moor at email@example.com.
If you have a media enquiry relating to this publication, please contact the Communications and Engagement team.
Requesting other formats and reporting issues
If you require publications or documents in other formats, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To report any issues with a publication, please email email@example.com.