This publication has been produced by Antimicrobial Resistance and Healthcare Associated Infection (ARHAI) Scotland, part of NHS National Services Scotland. ARHAI publications are not made available under terms of the OGL.
About this release
This release provides data for COVID-19 hospital onset cases in Scotland from week ending 1 March 2020 to week ending 9 January 2022. A system for monitoring COVID-19 is critical to tracking hospital transmission. This helps to inform infection prevention and control measures. The transmission of COVID-19 is thought to occur mainly through respiratory droplets generated by coughing and through contact with contaminated surfaces. Infections have been widely reported in the community. Further information on the epidemiology of COVID-19 in healthcare settings can be found on the Public Health Scotland website.
Breakdown of COVID-19 cases by hospital onset status – weekly data
The total number of COVID-19 cases reported to ARHAI Scotland this week (week ending 09 January 2022) was 90,907. Of these:
- 90,253 (99.3%) were reported as community onset (first positive specimen taken in the community). In the previous week (week ending 02 January 2022) there were 113,738 (99.4%).
- 318 (0.3%) were reported as non-hospital onset (first positive specimen on day 1 or 2 of admission to NHS board). In the previous week (week ending 02 January 2022) there were 330 (0.3%).
- 57 (0.1%) were reported as indeterminate hospital onset (first positive specimen on days 3 to 7 of admission to NHS board). In the previous week (week ending 02 January 2022) there were 47 (0.04%).
- 66 (0.1%) were reported as probable hospital onset (first positive specimen on days 8 to 14 of admission to NHS board). In the previous week (week ending 02 January 2022) there were 60 (0.1%).
- 213 (0.2%) were reported as definite hospital onset (first positive specimen date was 15 or more days after admission to NHS board). In the previous week (week ending 02 January 2022) there were 223 (0.2%).
Figure 1: Epidemic curve of COVID-19 cases with first positive specimen taken during an inpatient stay, by onset status: week-ending 01 March 2020 to week-ending 09 January 2022 (n=23,016). 1,2,3
1. Source of data are Corporate Data Warehouse (CDW) that contains test results from Electronic Communication of Surveillance in Scotland (ECOSS) and Rapid Admission Preliminary Inpatient Data (RAPID) or local admission data.
2. The community cases are not represented in this chart as the first sample was not taken in a hospital setting.
3. The final column in the graph refers to the week ending 2 and 9 January 2022 respectively.
Antimicrobial Resistance and Healthcare Associated Infection (ARHAI) Scotland, part of National Services Scotland, works closely with Public Health Scotland to deliver the COVID-19 response. Local and national monitoring in hospital settings is required to reduce COVID-19 infections.
The next release of this publication will be 9 February 2022.
If you have an enquiry relating to this publication, please email NSS.ARHAIdatateam@nhs.scot.
If you have a media enquiry relating to this publication, please contact the Communications and Engagement team.
Requesting other formats and reporting issues
If you require publications or documents in other formats, please email email@example.com.
To report any issues with a publication, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.