About this release
This weekly release by Public Health Scotland presents data on COVID-19 across NHSScotland.
- As at 29 August 2021, there have been 424,508 confirmed COVID-19 cases; 33,843 of these were recorded in the week ending 29 August 2021, an increase of 43.3% from the previous week.
- In the week ending 29 August 2021, 34,489 individuals were recorded in the contact tracing software, from which 40,506 unique contacts have been traced.
- In the week ending 29 August 2021, under the Community Testing Programme 34.2% of symptomatic and 10.3% of asymptomatic tests for COVID-19 were positive.
- In the week ending 24 August 2021, there were 391 admissions to hospital with a laboratory confirmed test of COVID-19. There has been a general fall in admissions amongst the older age groups (aged 60 years plus) since the onset of the vaccination programme. The highest number of new admissions are now in those aged 50-59 years, 70-79 years and 80+.
- The proportion of all people who were admitted to hospital within 14 days of a laboratory confirmed COVID-19 positive test has declined, from 13% in the week commencing 25 January 2021, to 3% in the most recent week commencing 09 August 2021.
- The number of new admissions to Intensive Care Units (ICUs) for confirmed COVID-19 patients has increased from the week ending 21 August 2021, with 44 in the week ending 28 August 2021.
- In the week ending 29 August 2021 there were 36,375 people who arrived in Scotland from outside the UK, of which 5,442 were required to quarantine (with 596 quarantined in a hotel).
- PHS have identified a total of 12,799 COVID-19 vaccinations given in pregnancy to 10,411 women from the start of the COVID-19 vaccination programme in Scotland on 08 December 2020 to 31 July 2021.
- As at 24 August 2021, in those aged 18 and over, dose 1 vaccine uptake is highest in white ethnic groups (88%) and lowest in African ethnic groups (66%). For dose 2 this is 80% and 52% respectively.
- As at 24 August 2021, 83% of those aged 18 and over in the less deprived areas had received their first dose of vaccine for COVID-19 compared to 75% in more deprived areas. For dose 2 this figure is 75% and 64%.
Additional charts and data are available to view in the interactive dashboard accompanying this report.
Wider impact detailed analysis
The response to the COVID-19 pandemic is likely to have a wider impact on health and care as a result of the lockdown, economic pressures and changes to health services.
A range of analyses on the impact of COVID-19 across aspects of NHS Scotland is available on the interactive information tool (external website).
Since the start of the outbreak, Public Health Scotland (PHS) has been working closely with the Scottish Government and health and care colleagues to support the surveillance and monitoring of COVID-19 amongst the population. There is a large amount of data being regularly published regarding COVID-19. For example, Coronavirus in Scotland – Scottish Government (external website) and Deaths involving coronavirus in Scotland – National Records of Scotland (external website). This report complements the range of existing data currently available.
The next release of this publication will be 8 September 2021.
Find out more
Versions of the Weekly national respiratory report publication released before 30 November 2022 may be found on the Public Health Scotland website
Versions of the COVID-19 weekly statistical report publication released before 30 November 2022 may be found on the Public Health Scotland website
- COVID-19 statistical data in Scotland (daily and weekly data available)
- COVID-19 Vaccination in Scotland (data up to 14 September 2022)
- Hospital onset COVID-19 cases in Scotland
- Enhanced Surveillance of COVID-19 in Scotland
- COVID-19 Infections in Pregnancy in Scotland
You can also view the open data for the Flu and COVID Winter 2022 Vaccination Programme Uptake
- Deaths involving coronavirus in Scotland – National Records of Scotland (external website)
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Modelling the Epidemic – Scottish Government (external website)
- Hospital onset COVID-19 cases in Scotland – ARHAI
- Ethnicity Data: The COVID-19 statistical report interactive dashboard was updated on 30 November 2022 to include more recent information relating to ethnicity of COVID-19 positives
- 28 September 2022 COVID-19 statistical report publication contains information on COVID-19 infection and vaccination in pregnancy in Scotland.
- 02 March 2022 COVID-19 statistical report publication contains information on Highest Risk (shielding patients list)
If you have an enquiry relating to this publication, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have a media enquiry relating to this publication, please contact the Communications and Engagement team.
Requesting other formats and reporting issues
If you require publications or documents in other formats, please email email@example.com.
To report any issues with a publication, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.