About this release
This weekly release by Public Health Scotland presents data on COVID-19 across NHS Scotland.
REVISION 19 May 2022: The following pages in this week’s publication have been revised due to a typo in the calendar dates included in the analyses. This has not impacted any data analyses contained in the publication report, the pages revised are 34, 37 and 38 where you will find full detail of the revision.
A correction was applied to the table titles and relevant notes in the supplementary data for the equality chapter. Vaccinations administered up to and including the 08 May 2022 were included in these data. The tables previously indicated a date of 03 May. Please note that the data in the main body of the report is up to and including the 03 May 2022 and are not affected.
- In the week ending 08 May 2022, there were 7,589 COVID-19 cases, a decrease of 45% from the previous week. In the week ending 08 May 2022, 1,071 (13.6%) of all cases reported that week were determined to be reinfections when applying the 90-day threshold
- In the latest week ending 03 May 2022, the number of new COVID-19 admissions to hospital fell from 715 to 553 (22.7%) from week ending 26 April 2022. The highest number of admissions are in those aged 80+ (27.8%)
- In the week ending 08 May 2022, there were 16 new admissions to Intensive Care Units (ICUs) with a laboratory confirmed test of COVID-19
- For all age groups apart from 5-11, 12-15 and 16-17 year olds, COVID-19 Vaccination uptake for dose 1 is highest in White ethnic groups. For age groups less than 18 years, uptake is highest in Asian ethnic groups
- In the most deprived areas, 15.8% less of the 16+ aged population receive their 3rd dose COVID-19 Vaccination compared to their second dose. This compares to a difference of 6.2% in the least deprived areas
- The Covid in Pregnancy in Scotland (COPS) cohort currently includes 173,062 pregnancies in 151,594 women from the start of the COVID-19 pandemic on 1 March 2020 onwards. Among these, we have identified a total of 16,549 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in pregnancy with date of onset from 1 March 2020 up to 31 March 2022, in 16,334 pregnancies in 16,293 women
- By the 13 April 2022, 73% (1st dose), 64% (2nd dose) and 43% (3rd/booster dose) of those in prison had been vaccinated compared with 73%, 68% and 48% in general population matched controls
Wider Impact Analysis
The response to the COVID-19 pandemic is likely to have a wider impact on health and care as a result of the lockdown, economic pressures and changes to health services.
Since the start of the outbreak, Public Health Scotland (PHS) has been working closely with the Scottish Government and health and care colleagues to support the surveillance and monitoring of COVID-19 amongst the population. There is a large amount of data being regularly published regarding COVID-19 (for example, Coronavirus in Scotland – Scottish Government and Deaths involving coronavirus in Scotland – National Records of Scotland). This report complements the range of existing data currently available.
The next release of this publication will be 18 May 2022.
Find out more
Versions of the Weekly national respiratory report publication released before 30 November 2022 may be found on the Public Health Scotland website
Versions of the COVID-19 weekly statistical report publication released before 30 November 2022 may be found on the Public Health Scotland website
Open data from this publication is available from the following weblinks:
- COVID-19 Open Data platform
- Respiratory Open Data platform
- Flu and COVID Vaccination Uptake Open Data platform
- 11 September 2023 SARS-CoV-2 BA.2.86 variant in Scotland - weekly update
- The Flu and COVID vaccination uptake in Scotland dashboard was updated on 6 July 2023 with the most recent information.
- The COVID-19 in Adult Care Homes in Scotland datafile was updated on 27 July 2023 to include more recent information.
- Ethnicity Data: The COVID-19 & Respiratory Surveillance in Scotland interactive dashboard was updated on 31 August 2023 to include more recent information relating to ethnicity of COVID-19 hospital admissions.
- 28 September 2022 COVID-19 statistical report publication contains information on COVID-19 infection and vaccination in pregnancy in Scotland.
- 2 March 2022 COVID-19 statistical report publication contains information on Highest Risk (shielding patients list)
If you have an enquiry relating to this publication, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have a media enquiry relating to this publication, please contact the Communications and Engagement team.
Requesting other formats and reporting issues
If you require publications or documents in other formats, please email email@example.com.
To report any issues with a publication, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.