About this release
This weekly release by Public Health Scotland presents data on COVID-19 across NHSScotland.
- As at 12 December 2021, there have been 769,642 confirmed COVID-19 cases; 22,252 of these were recorded in the most recent week, an increase of 11.2% from the previous week.
- Based on data reported through 12 December 2021, PHS is reporting sustained community transmission of the Omicron variant of SARS-CoV-2 across Scotland. The proportion of cases with S gene target failure, a proxy for the Omicron variant, has exponentially increased since 23 November, and as at 12 December 2021, S gene target failure cases accounted for 22.6% of all cases reported by Pillar 2 Lighthouse Laboratory. The variant is on a trajectory to rapidly replace Delta as the dominant strain of COVID-19 in Scotland.
- In the week ending 5 December 2021, 19,731 individuals were recorded in the contact tracing software, from which 31,182 unique contacts have been traced.
- In the week ending 7 December 2021, there were 399 admissions to hospital with a laboratory confirmed test of COVID-19. The highest number of new admissions are now in those aged 80+.
- The proportion of all people who were admitted to hospital within 14 days of a laboratory confirmed COVID-19 positive test has declined, from 12% in the week ending 31 January 2021, to 3% in the most recent week ending 28 November 2021.
- In the week ending 12 December 2021 there were 24 new admissions to Intensive Care Units (ICUs) for confirmed COVID-19. This is a decrease of 14.3% from the week ending 5 December 2021.
- COVID-19 vaccination uptake among early learning and childcare staff and school teachers was similar to, or higher than, the general Scottish population of the same age.
Additional charts and data are available to view in the interactive dashboard accompanying this report.
Wider impact detailed analysis
The response to the COVID-19 pandemic is likely to have a wider impact on health and care as a result of the lockdown, economic pressures and changes to health services.
A range of analyses on the impact of COVID-19 across aspects of NHS Scotland is available on the interactive information tool (external website).
Since the start of the outbreak, Public Health Scotland (PHS) has been working closely with the Scottish Government and health and care colleagues to support the surveillance and monitoring of COVID-19 amongst the population. There is a large amount of data being regularly published regarding COVID-19. For example, Coronavirus in Scotland – Scottish Government (external website) and Deaths involving coronavirus in Scotland – National Records of Scotland (external website). This report complements the range of existing data currently available.
The next release of this publication will be 22 December 2021.
Find out more
- weekly COVID-19 statistical data in Scotland
- COVID-19 vaccination in Scotland
- COVID-19 dashboard
- Enhanced surveillance of COVID-19 in Scotland
- Hospital onset COVID-19 cases in Scotland
Access the COVID-19 dashboard for the following information:
- daily COVID-19 positive cases and deaths by health board and local
- daily hospital admissions and ICU admissions at Scotland level
- data on vaccinations from 26 February 2021
There is a large amount of data being regularly published regarding COVID-19 – for example, Coronavirus in Scotland on the Scottish Government website (external website) and deaths involving coronavirus in Scotland on the National Records of Scotland (external website).
COVID-19 in pregnancy in Scotland
The 11 May 2022 COVID-19 statistical report contains information on COVID-19 infection and vaccination in pregnancy in Scotland.
View information about the COVID-19 Infection Survey (external website) – this represents the single biggest expansion to date of asymptomatic testing for surveillance purposes in the pandemic and is being conducted by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) and the University of Oxford, on behalf of the UK and The Scottish Government.
Highest risk (shielding) list
The 02 March 2022 COVID-19 statistical report contains information relating to shielding patients.
The COVID-19 statistical report interactive dashboard was updated on 24 August 2022 to include more recent information relating to ethnicity of COVID-19 positives
If you have an enquiry relating to this publication, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have a media enquiry relating to this publication, please contact the Communications and Engagement team.
Requesting other formats and reporting issues
If you require publications or documents in other formats, please email email@example.com.
To report any issues with a publication, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.