COVID-19 statistical report
A Management Information Statistics publication for Scotland
As at 22 August 2022
- 24 August 2022
- Statistical report
- Public Health Scotland
- Coronavirus (COVID-19)
About this release
This weekly release by Public Health Scotland presents data on COVID-19 across NHS Scotland.
- In Scotland, in the week ending 08 August 2022, the estimated number of people testing positive for COVID-19 was 164,100 (95% credible interval: 137,400 to 193,700), equating to 3.12% of the population, or around 1 in 30 people (Source: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Infection Survey, UK - Office for National Statistics)
- In the week ending 21 August 2022 there were 10 new admissions to Intensive Care Units (ICUs) with a laboratory confirmed test of COVID-19, a decrease of 5 from the previous week (14 August 2022)
- In the week ending 21 August 2022, there were on average 819 patients in hospital with COVID-19, a 12.3% decrease from the previous week ending 14 August 2022 (934)
- In the week ending 14 August 2022, there were 66 deaths involving COVID-19 (6 more than the previous week) (Source: National Records of Scotland)
Wider Impact Analysis
The response to the COVID-19 pandemic is likely to have a wider impact on health and care as a result of the lockdown, economic pressures and changes to health services.
Since the start of the outbreak, Public Health Scotland (PHS) has been working closely with the Scottish Government and health and care colleagues to support the surveillance and monitoring of COVID-19 amongst the population. There is a large amount of data being regularly published regarding COVID-19 (for example, Coronavirus in Scotland – Scottish Government (external website) and Deaths involving coronavirus in Scotland – National Records of Scotland (external website)). This report complements the range of existing data currently available.
The next release of this publication will be 31 August 2022.
Find out more
Versions of the Weekly national respiratory report publication released before 30 November 2022 may be found on the Public Health Scotland website
Versions of the COVID-19 weekly statistical report publication released before 30 November 2022 may be found on the Public Health Scotland website
Open data from this publication is available from the following weblinks:
- COVID-19 Open Data platform
- Respiratory Open Data platform
- Flu and COVID Vaccination Uptake Open Data platform
- Ethnicity Data: The COVID-19 & Respiratory Surveillance in Scotland interactive dashboard was updated on 25 May 2023 to include more recent information relating to ethnicity of COVID-19 hospital admissions.
- 28 September 2022 COVID-19 statistical report publication contains information on COVID-19 infection and vaccination in pregnancy in Scotland.
- 2 March 2022 COVID-19 statistical report publication contains information on Highest Risk (shielding patients list)
If you have an enquiry relating to this publication, please contact email@example.com.
If you have a media enquiry relating to this publication, please contact the Communications and Engagement team.
Requesting other formats and reporting issues
If you require publications or documents in other formats, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To report any issues with a publication, please email email@example.com.
Older versions of this publication
Versions of this publication released before 16 March 2020 may be found on the Data and Intelligence, Health Protection Scotland or Improving Health websites.