About this release
This weekly release by Public Health Scotland presents data on COVID-19 across NHSScotland.
- As at 22 August 2021, there have been 386,591 confirmed COVID-19 cases; 19,540 of these were recorded in the week ending 22 August 2021, an increase of 84.6% from the previous week.
- In the week ending 22 August 2021, 19,225 individuals were recorded in the contact tracing software, from which 31,771 unique contacts have been traced.
- In the week ending 22 August 2021, under the Community Testing Programme 35.6% of symptomatic and 9.0% of asymptomatic tests for COVID-19 were positive.
- In the week ending 17 August 2021, there were 246 admissions to hospital with a laboratory confirmed test of COVID-19. There has been a general fall in admissions amongst the older age groups (aged 60 years plus) since the onset of the vaccination programme. The highest number of new admissions are now in those aged 70-79 years and 80+.
- The proportion of all people who were admitted to hospital within 14 days of a laboratory confirmed COVID-19 positive test has declined, from 13% in the week commencing 25 January 2021, to 3% in the most recent week commencing 02 August 2021.
- The number of new admissions to Intensive Care Units (ICUs) for confirmed COVID-19 patients has remained the same as the week ending 14 August 2021, with 21 in the week ending 21 August 2021.
- In the week ending 22 August 2021 there were 33,750 people who arrived in Scotland from outside the UK, of which 5,442 were required to quarantine (with 469 quarantined in a hotel).
Additional charts and data are available to view in the interactive dashboard accompanying this report.
Wider impact detailed analysis
The response to the COVID-19 pandemic is likely to have a wider impact on health and care as a result of the lockdown, economic pressures and changes to health services.
A range of analyses on the impact of COVID-19 across aspects of NHS Scotland is available on the interactive information tool (external website).
Since the start of the outbreak, Public Health Scotland (PHS) has been working closely with the Scottish Government and health and care colleagues to support the surveillance and monitoring of COVID-19 amongst the population. There is a large amount of data being regularly published regarding COVID-19. For example, Coronavirus in Scotland – Scottish Government (external website) and Deaths involving coronavirus in Scotland – National Records of Scotland (external website). This report complements the range of existing data currently available.
The next release of this publication will be 1 September 2021.
Find out more
- weekly COVID-19 statistical data in Scotland
- COVID-19 vaccination in Scotland
- Daily COVID-19 dashboard
- Enhanced surveillance of COVID-19 in Scotland
- Hospital onset COVID-19 cases in Scotland
COVID-19 daily dashboard
Access the COVID-19 daily dashboard for the following information:
- daily COVID-19 positive cases and deaths by health board and local
- daily hospital admissions and ICU admissions at Scotland level
- data on vaccinations from 26 February 2021
There is a large amount of data being regularly published regarding COVID-19 – for example, Coronavirus in Scotland on the Scottish Government website (external website) and deaths involving coronavirus in Scotland on the National Records of Scotland (external website).
View information about the COVID-19 Infection Survey (external website) – this represents the single biggest expansion to date of asymptomatic testing for surveillance purposes in the pandemic and is being conducted by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) and the University of Oxford, on behalf of the UK and The Scottish Government.
The 10 June 2020 COVID-19 statistical report contains information relating to shielding patients.
The 3 March 2021 COVID-19 statistical report contains information relating to ethnicity of COVID-19 positives.
If you have an enquiry relating to this publication, please email email@example.com.
If you have a media enquiry relating to this publication, please contact the Communications and Engagement team.
Requesting other formats and reporting issues
If you require publications or documents in other formats, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To report any issues with a publication, please email email@example.com.