About this release
This weekly release by Public Health Scotland presents data on COVID-19 across NHSScotland.
Please note a revision was made to the COVID-19 Cases, Hospitalisations and Deaths by Vaccine Status section of the full report on 10 January 2022 to include more up to date data.
- As at 2 January 2022, there have been 966,001 confirmed COVID-19 cases; 91,544 of these were recorded in the most recent week, an increase of 51.5% from the previous week.
- The proportion of cases with S gene target failure, a proxy for the Omicron variant, has exponentially increased since 23 November, and as at 5 January 2022, S gene target failure cases accounted for 91.1% of all cases reported by Pillar 2 Lighthouse Laboratory and therefore has now replaced Delta as the dominant variant of COVID-19 in Scotland.
- Based on clinical audit of hospital admission records in NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde and NHS Grampian in late December 2021 and early January 2022, 60% of acute hospital admissions were determined to be 'because of' COVID-19 (assuming either a definite or probably attribution).
- There has been an 8.9% decrease in the number of Lateral Flow Device (LFD) asymptomatic tests carried out in the last week. There have been 18,526,264 LFD tests carried out in Scotland since 19 November 2020, of which 159,908 were positive (0.9%).
- In the week ending 26 December 2021, 66,189 individuals were recorded in the contact tracing software, from which 65,476 unique contacts have been traced.
- In the week ending 28 December 2021, there were 653 admissions to hospital with a laboratory confirmed test of COVID-19, an increase of 31% from the previous week. The highest number of new admissions are now in those aged 80+
- The proportion of all people who were admitted to hospital within 14 days of a laboratory confirmed COVID-19 positive test has declined, from 12% in the week ending 31 January 2021, to 1% in the most recent week ending 19 December 2021.
- In the week ending 26 December 2021 there were 31 new admissions to Intensive Care Units (ICUs) for confirmed COVID-19. This is an increase of 29.1% from the week ending 19 December 2021.
Additional charts and data are available to view in the interactive dashboard accompanying this report.
Wider impact detailed analysis
The response to the COVID-19 pandemic is likely to have a wider impact on health and care as a result of the lockdown, economic pressures and changes to health services.
A range of analyses on the impact of COVID-19 across aspects of NHS Scotland is available on the interactive information tool.
Since the start of the outbreak, Public Health Scotland (PHS) has been working closely with the Scottish Government and health and care colleagues to support the surveillance and monitoring of COVID-19 amongst the population. There is a large amount of data being regularly published regarding COVID-19 (for example, Coronavirus in Scotland – Scottish Government and Deaths involving coronavirus in Scotland – National Records of Scotland). This report complements the range of existing data currently available.
The next release of this publication will be 12 January 2022.
Find out more
Versions of the Weekly national respiratory report publication released before 30 November 2022 may be found on the Public Health Scotland website
Versions of the COVID-19 weekly statistical report publication released before 30 November 2022 may be found on the Public Health Scotland website
- COVID-19 statistical data in Scotland (daily and weekly data available)
- COVID-19 Vaccination in Scotland (data up to 14 September 2022)
- Hospital onset COVID-19 cases in Scotland
- Enhanced Surveillance of COVID-19 in Scotland
- COVID-19 Infections in Pregnancy in Scotland
You can also view the open data for the Flu and COVID Winter 2022 Vaccination Programme Uptake
- Deaths involving coronavirus in Scotland – National Records of Scotland (external website)
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Modelling the Epidemic – Scottish Government (external website)
- Hospital onset COVID-19 cases in Scotland – ARHAI
- Ethnicity Data: The COVID-19 statistical report interactive dashboard was updated on 30 November 2022 to include more recent information relating to ethnicity of COVID-19 positives
- 28 September 2022 COVID-19 statistical report publication contains information on COVID-19 infection and vaccination in pregnancy in Scotland.
- 02 March 2022 COVID-19 statistical report publication contains information on Highest Risk (shielding patients list)
If you have an enquiry relating to this publication, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have a media enquiry relating to this publication, please contact the Communications and Engagement team.
Requesting other formats and reporting issues
If you require publications or documents in other formats, please email email@example.com.
To report any issues with a publication, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.