About this release
This weekly release by Public Health Scotland presents data on COVID-19 across NHSScotland.
REVISION 18 February 2022: The 'COVID-19 Cases, Hospitalisations, and Deaths by Vaccine Status' sections were revised (page 28). Due to an analytic error, the previous five weeks of case numbers and age-standardised case rates have included PCR-confirmed cases for ages 15 years old and over, rather than the intended 10 years old and over. This has decreased the unvaccinated case numbers substantially. Table 12 in the 'COVID-19 Cases, Hospitalisations, and Deaths by Vaccine Status' section contains the correct numbers.
Appendix 6: Data Sources and Limitations revised (page 55): COVID vaccination definition for Dose 2 revised to include "and have either not had a booster or third dose of COVID-19 vaccine or is less than or equal to 14 days after their booster or third dose of COVID-19 vaccine."
- In the week ending 06 February 2022, there were 48,669 COVID-19 cases (identified by PCR or LFD), a decrease of 5.7% from the previous week
- In the week ending 30 January 2022, 45,095 individuals were recorded in the contact tracing software, from which 59,092 unique contacts have been traced
- In the week ending 01 February 2022, there were 588 admissions to hospital with a laboratory confirmed test of COVID-19, a decrease of 20% from the previous week. The highest number of new admissions are now in those aged 80+
- In the week ending 06 February 2022 there were 23 new admissions to Intensive Care Units (ICUs) with a laboratory confirmed test of COVID-19. This is a decrease of 20.7% from the week ending 30 January 2022
- In the past four weeks from 08 January 2022 to 04 February 2022, the age-standardised rate of hospital admissions per 100,000 was 2.9 to 3.8 times lower in individuals with their 3rd dose or booster dose of vaccine compared to unvaccinated individuals or have received one or two doses of a COVID-19 vaccine.
Additional charts and data are available to view in the interactive dashboard accompanying this report.
Wider impact detailed analysis
The response to the COVID-19 pandemic is likely to have a wider impact on health and care as a result of the lockdown, economic pressures and changes to health services.
A range of analyses on the impact of COVID-19 across aspects of NHS Scotland is available on the interactive information tool.
Since the start of the outbreak, Public Health Scotland (PHS) has been working closely with the Scottish Government and health and care colleagues to support the surveillance and monitoring of COVID-19 amongst the population. There is a large amount of data being regularly published regarding COVID-19 (for example, Coronavirus in Scotland – Scottish Government and Deaths involving coronavirus in Scotland – National Records of Scotland). This report complements the range of existing data currently available.
The next release of this publication will be 16 February 2022.
Find out more
Versions of the Weekly national respiratory report publication released before 30 November 2022 may be found on the Public Health Scotland website
Versions of the COVID-19 weekly statistical report publication released before 30 November 2022 may be found on the Public Health Scotland website
Open data from this publication is available from the following weblinks:
- COVID-19 Open Data platform
- Respiratory Open Data platform
- Flu and COVID Vaccination Uptake Open Data platform
- 11 September 2023 SARS-CoV-2 BA.2.86 variant in Scotland - weekly update
- The Flu and COVID vaccination uptake in Scotland dashboard was updated on 6 July 2023 with the most recent information.
- The COVID-19 in Adult Care Homes in Scotland datafile was updated on 27 July 2023 to include more recent information.
- Ethnicity Data: The COVID-19 & Respiratory Surveillance in Scotland interactive dashboard was updated on 31 August 2023 to include more recent information relating to ethnicity of COVID-19 hospital admissions.
- 28 September 2022 COVID-19 statistical report publication contains information on COVID-19 infection and vaccination in pregnancy in Scotland.
- 2 March 2022 COVID-19 statistical report publication contains information on Highest Risk (shielding patients list)
If you have an enquiry relating to this publication, please email email@example.com.
If you have a media enquiry relating to this publication, please contact the Communications and Engagement team.
Requesting other formats and reporting issues
If you require publications or documents in other formats, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To report any issues with a publication, please email email@example.com.