About this release
This release by Public Health Scotland (PHS) on epidemiological information on seasonal respiratory infection activity in Scotland including COVID-19. Since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, health care services have functioned differently now compared to previous winter respiratory seasons, so the consultation rates are not directly comparable to historical data.
Between June 2023 - October 2023, PHS will update the interactive dashboard every week and a narrative report will be published once a month.
PHS will continue to monitor COVID-19 and other respiratory infection levels and publish additional narrative reports if necessary.
Overall assessment for the period 14 August 2023 to 27 August 2023 (ISO week 33 to 34):
- Measures of respiratory symptoms in the community and via attendances at GP (General Practitioners) consultations show low levels of respiratory disease activity during the reporting period (NHS24, GP ILI and CARI primary care virology data)
- According to primary care surveillance conducted by CARI, SARS-CoV-2 swab test positivity reached a peak in week 32 at 17.1%, however, this rate declined in week 33 to 13.9% and again in week 34 at 11.5%.
- During the two-week period 29 July 2023 to 11 August 2023 wastewater COVID-19 levels were in the range of 50-98 Mgc/p/d
- There were on average 328 patients in hospital with COVID-19, a small increase of 3.8% from the previous week ending 20 August 2023 (316)
- All-cause excess mortality remained within seasonal expectations, overall and for all age groups, during the reporting period. Data for the most recent two weeks is still provisional and should be treated with caution.
As part of our continuous review of reporting, PHS weekly report on respiratory infections in Scotland, including COVID-19, has now moved to a monthly publication schedule.
This aligns to the pre-pandemic approach for other respiratory pathogens, which typically follow a seasonal pattern with most cases occurring between October and May. A return to weekly publications will resume in October 2023.
The next release of this publication will be 7 September 2023.
Find out more
Versions of the Weekly national respiratory report publication released before 30 November 2022 may be found on the Public Health Scotland website
Versions of the COVID-19 weekly statistical report publication released before 30 November 2022 may be found on the Public Health Scotland website
Open data from this publication is available from the following weblinks:
- COVID-19 Open Data platform
- Respiratory Open Data platform
- Flu and COVID Vaccination Uptake Open Data platform
- 11 September 2023 SARS-CoV-2 BA.2.86 variant in Scotland - weekly update
- The Flu and COVID vaccination uptake in Scotland dashboard was updated on 6 July 2023 with the most recent information.
- The COVID-19 in Adult Care Homes in Scotland datafile was updated on 27 July 2023 to include more recent information.
- Ethnicity Data: The COVID-19 & Respiratory Surveillance in Scotland interactive dashboard was updated on 31 August 2023 to include more recent information relating to ethnicity of COVID-19 hospital admissions.
- 28 September 2022 COVID-19 statistical report publication contains information on COVID-19 infection and vaccination in pregnancy in Scotland.
- 2 March 2022 COVID-19 statistical report publication contains information on Highest Risk (shielding patients list)
If you have an enquiry relating to this publication, please email email@example.com.
If you have a media enquiry relating to this publication, please contact the Communications and Engagement team.
Requesting other formats and reporting issues
If you require publications or documents in other formats, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To report any issues with a publication, please email email@example.com.